Macaroons are a lovely, chewy-textured, sweet treat and they also happen to be wheat-, dairy- and gluten-free!
- In a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, egg whites (whisk enough egg whites to fill 1/2 cup), sugar, honey and vanilla for 5 minutes, until mixture is very pale and sugar has dissolved.
- Remove bowl from the heat and stir in coconut and rice flour. Chill mixture until firm.
- Heat oven to 160 degC. Line two baking trays with nonstick baking paper.
- Place mixture in a piping bag fitted with a large, star- shaped nozzle and pipe mounds onto prepared baking trays. Shape mixture into balls and place on baking trays.
- Bake for 25 minutes until pale golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Three large egg whites is approximately equal to half a cup.
- Coconut macaroons will last for 3 to 4 days if stored in an airtight container.
- To make these macaroons extra special, dip them in melted dark chocolate and leave to set.