Boiled fruit cake
This is my mother's portable cake - perfect for a sweet treat when you're camping or at home in a sealed container on the bench.
- Place dried fruit in a saucepan with cold water or cold tea. Bring to the boil and keep boiling gently with the lid on for five minutes. Pour off the liquid.
- Chop up butter and add to the pan. once this has melted, add sugar and blend it in slowly so the sugar dissolves. Leave to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a 24cm cake tin.
- Add orange zest and lemon zest and mashed banana, if using, to mix.
- When cooled, add eggs, then fold in vanilla, flour and baking powder. Don't over-mix.
- Pour the mixture into a tin and bake for 60 to 90 minutes. Check the cake after 1 hour in the oven. When the skewer comes out cleanly from the cake, it's cooked.
- Drizzle a little brandy over the warm cake after it comes out of the oven and before removing it from the tin.