Beef and Red Wine Casserole
Made in the slow cooker, this beef casserole will warm up any winter night.
- Heat oil in a flameproof casserole dish. Add onion and pepper and cook for 3 minutes to brown.
- Remove to one side. Add the beef, in two batches if necessary, and stir-fry to brown all over. Remove to one side.
- Add flour to the pan and stir to combine with remaining oil.
- Add red wine to the pan and simmer for 1 minute, stirring to remove any sediment from the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil, then return beef and vegetables to the pan.
- Turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours until meat is tender. Stir in oregano and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: Try this for a change - a teaspoonful of wine vinegar added to a meat stew at the end of cooking time will open up the flavours and reduce the amount of salt needed to season the stew.