- Heat oven to 150 degC Grease a 22cm cake tin and line the base with nonstick baking paper.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl and then stir in sugar and spices.
- Melt butter and combine with golden syrup. Dissolve baking soda in warmed milk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir gently (don't beat) to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out moist but clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool. Store in an air-tight container.