Beef Pies with Dumplings
Who doesn't like dumplings? Heart warming and rich, these pies with their dumpling topping are a winter's night treat.
|1 to drizzle||Olive oil|
|700 g||Stewing steaks|
|2 cups||Beef stock|
- Heat a large heavy-based saucepan with a little olive oil and brown meat in two or three batches. Remove meat to one side. Add onion, garlic, carrots and celery(all chopped/diced) to the pan and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Return meat to pan. Add stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, half cover the pan and gently simmer for 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove to a 1.5 litre capacity baking dish or four large ramekins.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Rub butter into flour by hand until crumbly. Stir in milk to bring together into a soft, smooth dough.
- Cut dough into 12 even-sized portions, then roll these into balls and place on top of the stew.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 200 degC for 25 minutes or until dumplings are puffed and golden brown and stew is bubbling hot.