Tuna fish pies with kumara topping
Canned tuna from the pantry makes this pie an easy and quick dinner to prepare. No kumara? Use potato for the topping instead.
- Mash cooked kumara (peeled, chopped and boiled) while still hot, add butter and 1/2 cup warmed milk, then beat until smooth and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Place oil and flour in a saucepan and stir to combine, then cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously to prevent lumps.
- Remove pan from the heat, add 2 cups milk and stir until smooth, then return to heat and simmer for 5 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Add spring onions, vegetables (you could use frozen veges), drained tuna and chopped parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Divide tuna mixture between four 1½ cup-capacity ramekins. Top each with mashed kumara and a little cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Goes well with