250g brown lentils, rinsed 6 cups cold water 3 tbsp butter 1 large onion, chopped 1 clove garlic, crushed 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1 tbsp ground coriander 1 tsp each ground turmeric and cumin ½
- Place lentils and water in a large saucepan, bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan, melt butter, then cook onion and garlic in butter over a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft and golden. Add carrots and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl and add vinegar to make a thick paste.
- Add this paste to onions and garlic and fry all together for 1 minute to fully develop flavours (take care not to burn the spice mix).
- Add this spice mix to the lentils and their cooking liquid. Stir in the tomato paste and simmer gently for 5 minutes, until warmed through.
- Season with salt to taste and serve sprinkled with chopped fresh coriander.