Quick Sri Lankan dry beef curry
2 tbsp vegetable oil, such as rice bran oil 2 onions, coarsely chopped 1 tsp mustard seeds 1 tsp cumin seeds 1 tsp each ground coriander and turmeric 1/2 tsp chilli powder 3 cloves garlic, chopped 1 tbsp
|2 Tbsp||Vegetable oil|
|1 tsp||Black mustard seeds|
|1 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|1 tsp||Ground coriander|
|1 tsp||Ground turmeric|
|½ tsp||Chilli powder|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh ginger|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 to serve||Plain unsweetened yoghurt|
|¼ cup||Fresh coriander|
- Heat vegetable oil, such as rice bran oil in a large nonstick frying pan.
- Add the coarsely chopped onions and cook over a medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring regularly until starting to brown.
- Add all the seeds and spices, plus the chopped garlic and grated fresh ginger, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the cut into strips beef, tossing and stir-frying for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the water, turn down the heat, half-cover the pan and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer for 5 minutes more or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir through lemon juice of a lemon and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with dollops of yoghurt and a sprinkling of fresh coriander.