|250 g||Butter, softened|
|1¼ cups||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|2¼ cups||Self raising flour, sifted|
|2 Tbsp||Cocoa powder|
|3 drops||Food colouring, red|
Vanilla butter icing
- Heat oven to 160C fan bake. Grease a 22cm springform cake tin and line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Place softened butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy.
- Beat in vanilla essence and eggs, one at a time. Stir in sifted flour in two batches, alternating with the milk.
- Divide the mixture between three separate bowls. Beat cocoa powder into one portion, stir red food colouring into one portion and leave one portion plain.
- Drop large spoonfuls of the different mixtures into the prepared cake tin, alternating the colours. Drag and swirl a blunt knife through the mixtures to create a marble pattern.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in tin, then remove and spread with vanilla butter icing.
- To make vanilla butter icing, beat all ingredients together in a bowl until pale and creamy.