Baked Rice Pudding
As children, we longed for our mother to serve Ambrosia rice pudding, but there was never enough in a tin for three children. Problem solved!
- In a 2-litre saucepan, bring the first 5 ingredients to a very gentle simmer. (Use only the zest of half the lemon) Stir well to free up the rice and to help prevent it sticking.
- You can now either: Semi-cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for around 45 minutes until the rice is soft, stirring regularly to prevent the rice catching on the bottom.
- Or, place semi-covered in the oven at 150 degC and bake for 50 to 60 minutes until rice is soft and the mixture slightly thickened.
- Stir in the evaporated milk and return to the heat or oven for 15 minutes. When cooked, remove and allow to cool a little before serving.
- Top with a little fresh cherry and orange salad.
Cook's tip: For something special, mix any leftovers with thick and creamy custard and serve with a dollop of jam or berry compote.