Easy bran muffins
The great feature of this recipe is that you make the mix in advance and leave it in the fridge where it will last for a week. It's a wonderful stand-by food for a weekend if unexpected visitors arrive for lunch or coffee
|2||Eggs, lightly beaten|
|½ cup||Butter, melted, or 1/2 cup oil|
|½ cup||Apricot, Finely chopped|
|¼ cup||Walnuts, Chopped. Optional or mixed nuts|
|1||Banana, Over-ripe, mashed|
|2½ tsp||Baking soda|
|½ cup||Brown sugar|
|1 cup||Wholemeal flour|
- Preheat the oven to 190 degC fan bake and grease your muffin pans well.
- In a large bowl, mix bran with boiling water. Set aside until cool, and then add eggs, buttermilk and salad oil/melted butter, sultanas/raisins, apricots, walnuts and banana.
- In a separate bowl, stir together baking soda, salt, sugar and flours. Blend thoroughly and stir into bran/fruit mixture.
- Either bake now or store mix in fridge for up to a week in a tightly covered container.
- Fan bake for 15 minutes for immediate use.
Cook's tip:If you don't have buttermilk, you can use 1 cup of whole milk and 1 cup of fruit yoghurt. These are not overly sweet muffins – if you have a sweet tooth, increase the sugar slightly to 2/3 cup.