If it’s a day or two before the weekly shop and the fridge is looking a bit empty, here’s a dish that uses up what’s left in the cupboard and freezer
|2||Boneless chicken thighs, or breasts|
|1||Onion, finely diced|
|2 cloves||Garlic, chopped|
|1 tsp||Ground paprika|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Ground coriander|
|2 drops||Tabasco sauce, or a pinch of chilli powder|
|1½ cups||Long grain rice|
|1 can||Diced tomato, 425g, or Italian seasoned|
|100 g||Sliced salami, or sausage, finely sliced|
|¼ cup||Dry sherry, optional|
|1 cup||Frozen peas|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh parsley, chopped, optional|
|1||Lemon, cut into wedges|
- Cut the chicken into even-sized pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then add the onion and garlic and brown quickly over a heat. Once browned, add the diced chicken, spices, rice, salt and pepper, and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, salami and sherry if using. Cover with a lid and lower heat to a very gentle simmer for 20 minutes before stirring in the frozen peas.
- Cook for a further minute or two before finally removing from the heat. Allow to steam with the lid on for 5 minutes before fluffing up with a fork.
- Add chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
If for any reason the paella is looking a little dry, add ¼ cup water and return to the stovetop.