Kelly's energy bars
Anyone who needs some get-up-and-go, but wants to avoid expensive energy bars, will love these. They really “stick to your ribs“, as your Granny would say
- Preheat the oven to 175 degC. Grease a 21 x 31cm baking tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Firstly, toast your wheat germ by placing in a small frying pan (no oil) for two minutes. Keep an eye on it.
- Then combine with rolled oats, flour, dry milk powder and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, add mashed banana and honey and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse sunflower seeds, dried apricots, almonds, raisins and cranberries a few times to coarsely chop.
- Add the dry ingredients to the fruit and nuts, then mix in the wet ingredients.
- Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until just done, for about 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into 20 bars.
- Allow to cool completely before separating and storing.
Cook's tip: All the dried fruit in this recipe can be substituted for dried dates, figs, blueberries etc. For those wanting a gluten-free bar, substitute the wheat flour for rice flour and wheat germ for flax seeds.