Rhubarb crumble slice
- Heat oven to 160 degrees C fan bake. Grease and line a 17cm x 27cm slice tin with baking paper with an overhang on all sides.
- Place lemon juice, water, sugar and trimmed rhubarb, cut in 2 cm pieces in a saucepan and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring regularly until rhubarb is soft. Add cornflour and cook for a few minutes until mixture thickens. Remove to cool.
To prepare the crumb topping:
- For the crumb topping, place flour and sugar in a bowl. Pour over the melted butter and mix with your fingertips until crumbly.
To prepare the base:
- For the base, place flour, sugar, baking powder and cubed butter in a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in lightly beaten egg, vanilla and buttermilk. Spread the base mixture into the prepared tin.
- Spread cold rhubarb mixture over the base and scatter with crumb topping. Bake for 60 minutes or until golden brown and firm in the centre.