Louise cake slice
Here's a recipe for a louise cake slice that's been revamped so it contains no wheat or gluten. Believe it or not, this version is possibly even more delicious than the original classic.
|⅓ cup||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|¾ cup||Rice flour|
|¾ cup||Tapioca flour|
|½ cup||Ground almonds|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|¾ cup||Raspberry jam|
- Heat oven to 170 degC.
- Line a 17 x 27cm slice tin with nonstick baking paper with an overhang on all sides.
- Place softened butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
- Beat in egg then stir in flours, ground almonds and baking powder. Spread mixture evenly into the base of prepared tin. Spread jam over base mixture.
- Prepare the topping in another bowl, beat egg whites only until soft peaks hold their shape.
- Beat in sugar just to combine, then stir in desiccated coconut. Spread topping over the jam.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove to cool in the tin, then holding baking paper by the edges, lift slice from baking tin. Slice into bars to serve.