Roast beef with red pepper chilli jam
( SERVES 4 )
For a treat, buy aged meat (ask your butcher for some before you need it) and cook it from room temperature. Pat with a paper towel to ensure the beef is dry so oil will stick.
To prepare Roast beef:
- Preheat oven to 180 degC fan bake. Place a cake rack over a baking tray in oven.
- Place beef in a frying pan. Rub oil over beef, then sprinkle cumin seeds and salt all over.
- Sear beef on high heat, continuing to turn so it is seared for 5 minutes in total.
- Place in oven on the now hot cake rack and cook uncovered for 15 to 20 mins for medium-rare to medium.
- Cover with foil and allow to rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut into 4 portions and serve with red pepper chilli jam.
Cook's tip: The rule of thumb for cooking beef from room temperature or from searing is about 15 minutes per 500g for medium-rare. A cake rack over the pan in the oven encourages even cooking.
To prepare Red pepper chilli jam:
- Place all the ingredients ( deseeded, julienne sliced large red capsicums, chopped finely and seeds removed long red chillies, finely chopped large clove garlic, finely chopped large clove garlic, oil salt and honey)
- Now drop heat to low and stir constantly for 25 minutes.
- Turn heat off and set aside to cool in saucepan.
- Chill till needed. Leftovers keep in fridge for a month.