Last-minute pineapple Christmas cake
Easily prepared the day before, or on Christmas day itself, this pineapple cake is a perfect alternative to the traditional Christmas fruit cake.
|1 cup||Brown sugar|
|440 g||Canned crushed pineapple|
|500 g||Dried fruit|
|1 cup||Self raising flour|
|½ tsp||Baking soda|
|1 tsp||Mixed spice|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
- Heat oven to 150 degC fan bake. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line the base with nonstick baking paper.
- Place coarsely chopped butter, brown sugar, crushed pineapple and juice in a saucepan, then stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Stir in mixed dried fruit and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Remove to a bowl to cool.
- Stir in the lightly beaten eggs and rum. Then stir in the flours, baking soda and mixed spices, sifted together. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 1½ hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in the tin before turning out. Spread with butter icing once cake is cooled completely.
To prepare Butter icing:
- Combine all ingredients (softened 100g butter, 4 cups icing sugar, sifted to remove lumps, juice of 1 lemon and 2 tbsp boiling water ) in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy.