Fresh fruit salad with ginger syrup
- Fill a portable container with fresh fruit – we used a 425g can of drained lychees and ½ mango or pawpaw, sliced.
- Lightly drizzle over ginger syrup which is very strong. If you have fresh mint, finely slice it and add to the mix.
- We used finely sliced kaffir lime leaves from the garden. The mint brings a super freshness and the kaffir lime introduces a wonderful pungent citrus note.
- You can reduce the amount of ginger in this recipe if desired, but the lemon helps keep the heat of the ginger muted. The lemon is optional.
- Trim the fresh ginger and roughly chop and place in food processor with lemon zest.
- Place the ginger/lemon mix with sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain into a container, cool and store in the fridge until ready to use.
A spoonful or two of this syrup with Pimm’s, pineapple juice and thin slices of fresh lime or fresh mint is a super summer drink. A good slurp of this with fizzy water is better than commercial ginger beer.