Simply wonderful banana & raisin cake
This recipe makes two cakes. You can easily halve the recipe if you want just one, but it freezes well and is the perfect gift for a friend.
- Grease two 21cm cake tins and line bottom with baking paper. Set aside.
- Make the topping first. In a heavy frying pan melt the butter then sprinkle in both sugars.
- Add the juice of the lemon and boiling water, bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until mixture becomes golden brown and caramelised.
- Slice bananas into thick, diagonal pieces and add to the caramel with the nuts and raisins.
- Cook over a high heat for 3 minutes to coat the ingredients with the caramel, then spoon this mixture into the cake tins.
- Smooth gently to cover the entire base of the cake tin and set aside.
- Heat oven to 180 degC. Cream the butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add buttermilk and combine well by hand. 6. In another bowl sift all the dry ingredients and add to cake batter very gently by hand.
- Pour half of the mix into each cake tin.
- Smooth the top and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Check after 50 minutes - the surface should bounce back and a skewer should come out cleanly from the cake.
- Let the cake sit for 5 minutes after baking. Using a spatula, gently separate the cake from the sides.
- Place a large plate over each cake and turn cake over so the topping is now on top.
- Remove the cake tin and peel off paper.