Chocolate buttermilk cake
( MAKES 1 cake )
This keeps well and the results are stunning. The buttermilk in this cake makes it very moist and it gets better the day after you make it. Ready in 1 hour 15 minutes.
|1 serving||Cocoa powder, for dusting|
|125 g||Dark chocolate|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|1¾ cups||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|½ tsp||Baking powder|
- Heat oven to 180C. Grease a 22cm tin. Dust with cocoa.
- Heat butter and chocolate carefully in a saucepan stirring on medium temperature. Do not overheat. Take off heat, add sugar and vanilla straight away while mix is hot.
- Whisk in buttermilk and eggs. Add dry ingredients, whisk until just smooth. Pour batter into tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Turn out on wire rack to cool.
- Make icing. Heat butter and dark chocolate together in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Pour over cooled cake