Eggless, dairy-free chocolate cake
- Heat oven to 160C fan bake. Grease a 20cm springform cake tin and line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, cocoa and salt into a large bowl. Add sugar and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- Combine oil, essence, water and vinegar in a jug.
- Pour wet ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients, then gently whisk just enough to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool in the tin. Remove from tin and dust with icing sugar to serve.
For an attractive decoration, place a paper doily on top of cake and sprinkle surface with icing sugar. Remove the doily and a pretty pattern will be left on the cake.