Orange date cake
180g butter, softened 1½ cups caster sugar 3 eggs, separated 1 cup plain yoghurt Finely grated zest of 1 orange 3 cups flour 1 tsp baking soda ¼ tsp salt 250g chopped dates 1 cup toasted
|180 g||Butter, softened|
|1½ cups||Caster sugar|
|1 cup||Natural yoghurt|
|1||Orange, finely grated zest|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|250 g||Dates, chopped|
|1 cup||Brazil nuts, or pecan nuts, toasted & chopped|
- Heat oven to 170 degC. Grease and dust with flour a 22cm Bundt cake tin. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Beat in the egg yolks, yoghurt and grated orange zest.
- Sift flour with baking soda and salt, then add to creamed mixture along with the dates and nuts. Stir to combine.
- In a clean bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks hold their shape, then fold egg whites gently into batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, invert onto a plate and glaze while hot so that the topping forms a sugary crust.
- To make the glaze, place the sugar, juice and zest into a bowl and stir to combine.