Number 5 birthday cake
- Cut away one third of the ring-shaped cake to form the base of the number five. Cut the square cake into two strips of equal thickness to the width of the ring cake.
- Use these strips to form the top straight lines of the number five, trimmed to fit.
- Assemble the number five and place on a flat board. Mix food colouring into butter icing and spread icing evenly to cover the whole cake.
- On a work surface lightly dusted with cornflour, roll out white fondant icing to 3mm thick. Cut out free-form cloud shapes. Brush the underside of the clouds with water and stick them on top of the cake.
- Use a little royal icing to glue on the jet plane lollies and to pipe a border around the base of the cake. Press birthday candles into the cake if desired.