Snake in the grass (birthday cake)
- Cut the two ring cakes in half so you have four U-shaped pieces. Place the pieces, end-to-end in a continuous S-shape, on a square cake board large enough to fit the snake.
- Use a sharp knife to trim the snake's tail to a thin point and to square off the head. Spread the whole snake with chocolate icing to coat evenly.
- Starting at the head end but leaving the head bare press the chocolate buttons all over the snake so that they form a scale-like pattern. Press the Kool mints (eyes) into the head and pipe pupils with black food colouring. Attach the sliced jube to make a forked tongue.
- To make the green grass, place coconut in a bowl. Mix in a few drops of green colouring with cold water and dot over coconut, stir until evenly coated green. Add a little more colouring (mixed with a little water) to obtain the depth of colour you desire.
- Working in small patches at a time, thinly spread the board with royal icing and sprinkle with green coconut, to coat. Repeat until all the remaining board is covered in grass.
- Beat butter and icing suger together in a bowl.
- Add cocoa and boiling water and beat until creamy.