This classic New Zealand Woman’s Weekly cake needs a special tin (Bundt or Kuglhof) but the investment is worth it.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degC fan bake. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla.
- Separate eggs and add the yolks one at a time to the mix. Beat well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Divide the mixture in half. Mix cocoa to a smooth paste with the hot water and add to one half of the mixture.
- Whisk egg whites till they are stiff. Fold half into the plain mix and half into the cocoa mix.
- Prepare the 25cm Kugelhof/Bundt tin by greasing well and sprinkling with finely chopped almonds.
- Place alternate spoonfuls of the two mixtures into the mould. Using a knife, cut once around the tin in a circular motion.
- Bake for 30 minutes – or longer for smaller tin. Turn out and cool on wire tray. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
Cook's tip: By greasing the pan well and adding the chopped nuts, it’s easy to get the cake out of this tin.