The aroma that fills the house when butter and sugar is baking in the oven reminds us of simpler times.
- Heat oven to 160 degC fan bake.
- In a saucepan melt butter, sugar and syrup.
- Add boiling water with soda dissolved in it. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in chopped dates, finely chopped preserved ginger and chopped walnuts. Place in a greased and paper lined 32cm x 22cm tin and flatten with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Cut into bars while warm.
Cook's tip: When measuring golden syrup out with a spoon, place the spoon in a cup of boiling water – the heat makes the syrup much easier to handle.