Indonesian lamb curry
( SERVES 4 )
Lamb shoulder chops are one of the most affordable cuts. This is doubly good news as shoulders benefit from long, slow cooking, which produces delicious results.
|1 kg||Lamb shoulder chop|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|½ tsp||Cardamom pods|
|1 tsp||Ground ginger|
|4 tsp||Ground coriander|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Brown sugar|
|½ tsp||Black pepper - ground|
|1 can||Coconut milk|
- Preheat oven to 170 degC.
- In a large fry-pan cook the lamb chops in olive oil on each side until golden.
- Slice onion, crush garlic dice the carrot and cut in half and slice the aubergine.
- Place vegetables and all other ingredients into a large casserole dish before adding the chops.
- Moisten the tamarind with 2 tablespoons of hot water (optional), add the peel of one lime and add the 425 ml can of coconut milk. Stir well.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven for around 90 minutes or until the chops are tender. Test by pushing the meat with a wooden spoon.
- The meat should fall away from the bone.
Cook's tip: Investing in a cast iron casserole dish helps produces a great result with slow oven cooking. You can also use these heavy dishes on the stovetop as well.