Gluten-free orange and coconut baby cakes
( MAKES 12 muffins or mini cakes )
Photo by Tamara West
|1 cup||Raw sugar|
|3 cups||Desiccated coconut|
|1 tsp||Gluten-free baking powder|
- Coarsely chop whole oranges, removing any seeds. Place the orange pulp in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Simmer until orange pulp is tender and liquid has mostly reduced. Set aside to cool, then blend or process until smooth.
- Heat oven to 160C fan bake. Line a 1-hole standard muffin tin or small cake tins.
- Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Stir in orange puree, then stir in coconut and baking powder. Whisk egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the cake mixture.
- Divide mixture between prepared tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Turn out cakes onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the orange syrup, place all the ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for five to 10 minutes until thick and syrupy.
- Pour hot orange syrup over cakes. Serve warm or cold.