Almond Cake with Poached Grapes
This almond cake served with vanilla infused poached grapes is a perfect afternoon tea treat.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Soften butter, add sugar and vanilla and almond essences. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time beating after each addition.
- Place almonds in a food processor with 1/4 cup of flour. Process to fine crumbs.
- Add almond mixture to butter mixture, sift over the rest of the flour and baking powder, then gently mix.
- Pour into a greased and base-lined 20cm ring cake pan.
- Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Cool.
- Turn out on to a rack. Serve with poached grapes.
- Wash grapes and drain.
- Bring water and sugar to the boil. Turn down heat and cook until pale golden.
- Add grapes and cook for two to three minutes more to heat grapes through. Stir in vanilla.