This traditional Indian rice dish was once popular for breakfast.
- Lay the fish in a large pot and cover with the water. You may need to chop the fish in half to get them to fit.
- Cover and bring to the boil, then simmer for a few minutes.
- Drain the water off so that you have two cups. Set aside.
- In a smaller pot, melt the butter and saute the chopped onion until clear.
- Then add curry powder and cook for a minute or so until you smell the spices.
- Tip in the rice and stir well to cover it with the butter, onion and curry powder, then cook for another minute.
- Pour over the 2 cups of liquid you cooked the smoked fish in and bring to the boil.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and turn the element to low. Cook for 15 minutes.
- While this is cooking, remove the flesh from the skin and bones of the smoked fish and set aside. Put the eggs in a pot to boil.
- When the rice is cooked, mix the fish, chopped tomato, parsley and juice of one lemon into it and season with salt and pepper.
- Peel and quarter the eggs, then scatter over the top before serving.