Roast lemon and tarragon chicken with mustard sauce
- Preheat oven to 220 C. Mix the vegetable oil, finely chopped fresh tarragon, crushed garlic and finely grated lemon rind in a bowl. Rinse size 20 chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Place chicken in roasting pan. Brush oil all over skin and pour any excess into the cavity. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind in cavity and tie legs together with string.
- Roast chicken for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 180 degC. Roast chicken again for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes or until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of thigh.
- Lift the cooked chicken onto a serving plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Allow pan juices to settle and then spoon off any visible fat.
- Add wholegrain or dijon mustard and flour to the pan and stir over a medium heat. Add white wine or lemon juice and allow to bubble, stirring constantly. Pour over vegetable liquid and stir over heat until bubbling and lightly thickened. Check seasoning and add salt if necessary.
- Serve roast chicken with chopped in quarters lemon, mustard sauce and seasonal vegetables.