Delicious ginger cake
( SERVES 10 )
It’s rich, moist and studded with ginger, and everyone who tries it goes slightly emotional on sampling. If you love ginger, you will be in heaven!
|⅓ cup||Golden syrup|
|⅔ cup||Muscavado sugar|
|1¾ cups||Self raising flour|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|3 tsp||Ground ginger|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|115 g||Butter, cubed|
|95 g||Ginger, roughtly chopped|
- Preheat oven to fan-bake 180 degC.
- Well-grease and bottom paperline a 20cm cake tin.
- Put the milk, sugar and syrup in a pot over a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes.
- Put the dry ingredients into a food processor with the butter and pulse-process until crumb-like.
- Add chopped candied ginger and pulse until broken into smaller pieces. Tip into a large bowl.
- Pour over the treacle mixture and mix together with a fork. Break in the egg and mix until it’s a batterlike consistency.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes. Turn oven down to 165 degC when you put the cake in.
- Test with a fine skewer to ensure it’s cooked through – it may need a further 5 minutes.
- Leave in tin until almost cold. Turn out and drizzle with lemon icing.
- Grated zest of ½ lemon in a mixing bowl.
- add icing sugar and enough lemon juice to achieve a spreadable icing when well mixed.