Pork, apple and sage bake
Photo by Tamara West
This delicious bake that brings together three best friends - pork, apple and sage can be served with pastry shards to give it a special touch.
- Heat oven to 170C. Place flour in a plastic bag and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in an ovenproof casserole dish or large frying pan. Place the pork in the plastic bag and toss to coat in the seasoned flour.
- Brown pork in two batches in the oil until golden all over then set asite.
- Peel the shallots and cut in quarters. peel and core the apple and slice thinly. Fry in the casserole dish for a couple of minutes, stirring. Add the apple juice and bring to the boil.
- Add the pork back to the dish and scatter over sage, salt and a good grind of black pepper.
- Cover and bake for 1½ hours until pork is tender.
- Serve with pastry shards, potatoes or rice and steamed greens.
- To cook pastry shards, heat oven to 200C. Cut pastry into 2cm strips and place on a baking tray. Brush pastry with lightly whisked egg. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden and puffed.