Pot-roast chicken with tarragon gravy
- Preheat the oven to 220 degC. Turn the wings under the chicken and truss for roasting. Rub the chicken with the butter and whole garlic bulb, halved, then season.
- Place leeks (chopped into 3cm pieces), carrots (chopped into 3cm pieces), mushrooms (or another kind of mushroom if you prefer) and more garlic in a casserole dish. Place chicken on top of vegetables, drizzle with olive oil and then pour the wine around the chicken (not over the top).
- Roast for 30 minutes, then pour the hot chicken stock around the chicken. Reduce the oven to 180 degC, cover with a lid and roast for another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Lift out the chicken and vegetables (keep covered and warm) and strain the pan juices into a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until reduced and thickened to make a glossy gravy.
- Add the tarragon leaves and check the seasoning just before serving with the chicken and vegetables.