Old-fashioned baked custard with poached rhubarb
1. Preheat oven to 150 degC. Grease a 1.5 litre baking dish with butter. Heat milk until almost boiling and then remove from heat.
2. Beat egg yolks, eggs and 3/4 cup of sugar together until pale and creamy. Gradually pour in the hot milk, stirring continuously all the while.
3. Pour custard through a sieve into the baking dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon and bake for 45 minutes until custard is set.
4. Meanwhile, chop rhubarb stalks into 4cm-long sticks. Place in a wide pot with remaining sugar and orange juice. Cover and gently cook until just tender.
5. Serve a large spoonful of custard with rhubarb on the side.