Portobello mushroom and mozzarella omelette
This recipe uses a great many eggs, but it’s for a large group and is the perfect vehicle to showcase the wonderful mushrooms.
|2 cups||Portobello mushrooms|
|200 g||Mozzarella cheese|
|2 Tbsp||Garlic chives, 1 tbsp chopped garlic chives, for garnish|
- Melt 50g butter in a saucepan, add sliced portobello mushrooms, then cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Season with fresh cracked pepper and set aside.
- Melt remaining 25g butter in a 29cm saucepan.
- Beat eggs and 2 Tbsp garlic chives together, season and pour on to the melted butter. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, remove from heat.
- Top with prepared mushrooms, and sprinkle over grated mozzarella cheese. Place saucepan under a hot grill, cook till golden and mozzarella has melted, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped chives over cooked omelette. Cut into quarters and serve hot.
Cook's tip: Fresh thyme is wonderful with mushrooms – add it to the pan when cooking them.