Mum’s yoghurt cake
( SERVES 8 )
Years ago, my mother Jacqueline White discovered this yoghurt cake recipe in an old British newspaper. Trying out the recipe and making it her own with a few variations, she was pleased with the results and ease of execution. She uses lemon yoghurt.
|1 cup||Fruit yoghurt, or 250ml|
|1||Lemon, grated rind|
|½ cup||Cooking oil, (not olive)|
|2 cups||Self raising flour|
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan bake. Grease and paper line the base of a 21cm cake tin.
- Mix the first 4 ingredients together in a bowl.
- Place the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add wet mix to dry. Do not over mix the ingredients.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Let the cake cool, and ice while warm, not hot, as it can ruin the icing.
- Icing: Place all the ingredients in a bowl and microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Mix well. Add more passionfruit syrup or lemon if needed. A little lemon zest can also be added for a slight zing