( SERVES 9 )
- Place dates, half cup of water, 2 tsp lemon rind and sugar into a small saucepan and heat, stirring until almost boiling. The mixture will form a paste. Remove from the heat and allow dates to cool.
- Preheat oven to 220 degC. Sift flour into a bowl and grate in butter. Rub until mixture forms rough crumbs. Add sugar and stir to mix.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in milk and half a cup of water, mixing quickly to a soft dough with a knife.
- Tip dough out onto lightly floured surface. Roll into a rectangle and cut in half.
- Spread one half with date mixture and top with remaining half.
- Cut into nine scones and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden.