Red lentil dhal, spiced chicken meatballs and roast parsnips
|1½ Tbsp||Sunflower oil|
|1 cup||Red lentils|
|2 Tbsp||Curry powder|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes|
|4 cups||Vegetable stock|
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onions. Fry gently for about 4 minutes or until lightly coloured.
- Stir in rinsed red split lentils and curry powder. Add the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil. Cover and reduce heat, simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Mix all meatball ingredients together with wet hands. Mould into walnut-size pieces and drop straight into the hot dhal. Simmer gently for a further 15 minutes until meatballs are cooked through and lentils are soft.
- Peel the parsnips and toss them in oil. Place in a roasting tin, then bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Spoon the dhal and meatballs into 4 bowls and serve with the parsnip crisps on top.
Cook's tip: Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon for an extra kick. If you’re really hungry, add steamed rice. Also, it’s best to season at the end when cooking lentils – they soften easily without the addition of salt at the start of the cooking process.