Roasted pears with hazelnut, dark chocolate and lemon zest
( SERVES 6 )
These are the most delicious roast pears. With dark chocolate, go for at least 60% cocoa solids as it will leave that delicious chocolate aftertaste in your mouth.
- Preheat oven to 185 degC
- In a bowl, mix 3 tbsp of sugar, 2 tsp grated lemon zest of a lemon, the soft unsalted butter, chopped blanched hazelnuts and chopped dark chocolate.
- Peel pears, slice in half and scoop out the seeds to make a well. Trim the base of each, enabling them to sit flat in a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle each half pear with Marsala or Stones. Spoon the filling into the centre of each pear, and sprinkle well with the remaining Marsala and castor sugar.
- Make for 45-50 minutes or until done. The pears are cooked when a skewer can be easily inserted into the thickest part.
- Sprinkle the last tsp of lemon zest over the warm pears, and serve with semi whipped cream or crème fraîche.
Cook's tip: If all you have is apples or peaches, the recipes work equally as well with each – you just need to adjust the cooking time.