Meringue with cream and blueberries
( SERVES 15 )
Humidity and ovens greatly affect the outcome – but even a less than perfect meringue is delicious with fruit and cream.
- Separate the eggs straight from the fridge (eggs separate more easily that way).
- Put the whites into a cake mixing bowl that is clean of any residue and leave for 15 minutes (egg whites beat better at room temperature).
- Preheat the oven to 140C.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Add the sugar, a spoonful at a time and beat well until the sugar is absorbed. You can tell this stage by simply rubbing a little mix between your fingers. If it’s grainy – beat some more!
- Shape on greased, paper-lined trays. Bake for 50 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave for another hour (don’t open the door). Store in an airtight container.
- To serve meringues, press your thumb into the base of the meringue gently and fill with unsweetened, whipped cream and sandwich together with a few berries.