Queen's tea cakes
( SERVES 12 )
These traditional tea cakes use dried fruit. In the summer, make this with fresh berries instead.
- Butter your muffin tins. Preheat the oven to 190°C fan bake.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, beating well. Adding a little flour will help to stop the mixture from curdling.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and add to the creamed mixture with the milk. Fold in the fruit – the mixture will be stiff.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins and bake 15 minutes (for small cakes) and 25 minutes for larger, or until the tops are springy.
- Let cool slightly before turning out of the tins. To serve, sift icing sugar over tops. These have a cake consistency and do not need buttering.
Cook's tip: A little orange or lemon zest added to the mix is delicious. These are great to take when visiting friends – wrap them in a tea towel and place in a basket.