Hokey pokey chocolate sundaes
December seems to be a time when the pace of life speeds up. At times like this it is good to have some favourite recipes that are quick to prepare and can be reheated to serve those who get home later. It's not all about main meals either - a couple of standby desserts may be just what everyone needs!
- Heat sugar and golden syrup in a small saucepan over a gentle heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Boil for 3 minutes until the mixture becomes dark in colour (there is a very fine line between burning and under-cooking, so be sure to watch carefully). Remove from heat and add baking soda,
- Beat the icing sugar and cream until thick, then fold in the yoghurt.
- Spread half of the pastry pieces with a thick layer of cream. Arrange strawberries on the cream. Spread the underside of the top pieces with lemon curd and carefully place over the strawberries. Serve at once, sprinkled with icing sugar. stirring quickly. Pour the frothy mixture into a greased pan and leave to cool and harden.
- Place cream in a saucepan and heat until almost boiling. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Leave to sit for several minutes, then stir until smooth.
- Break the hokey pokey into rough pieces. Scoop ice cream into bowls, sprinkle with hokey pokey and pour over chocolate sauce. Decorate each sundae with a wafer and serve.