This is a basic biscotti recipe, altered with different types of nuts, chocolate and fruit.
- Preheat oven to 140C. Beat sugar and 2 eggs together until pale and creamy. Add plain flour, baking powder, dried cranberries, chocolate bits and choppped toasted almonds, then mix well.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until firm, adding a little more flour if necessary. Divide dough in half and shape into logs. Place on a greased baking tray and brush with 1 egg white, lighly beaten.
- Bake logs for 40 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. While warm, slice biscotti logs into 1cm-thick slices and place in a single layer on oven trays.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 80C and return biscotti to the oven for 30 minutes to dry.
- Remove from trays, cool and store in an airtight container.