Cumin and lemon chicken hotpot
When you come home after a demanding day, that distinctive aroma from the slow cooker makes everything seem easier.
|1 kg||Boneless chicken thigh, skinless, cut into 3 x 7cm chunks|
|1 Tbsp||Ground cumin|
|2 tsp||Sesame oil|
|2 tsp||Lemon pepper|
|4 cloves||Garlic, peeled and finely chopped|
|1||Lemon, freshly zested and juiced|
|2 cups||Pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-3 cm chunks|
|1 large||Leek, sliced|
|1 cup||Courgette, cut into 1cm pieces|
|1 cup||Button mushrooms|
|1 cup||Celery, sliced|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh thyme|
|1 cup||Chicken stock|
|2 Tbsp||White wine|
|1 Tbsp||Cumin seeds|
|4 Tbsp||Packet gravy, I used Bisto Light Brown Gravy Mix|
- Mix the first seven ingredients (chicken thighs, ground cumin seeds, sesame oil, lemon pepper, garlic, juice of 1 lemon, zest of 1 lemon) together and marinate for 15 minutes a bowl.
- Place the vegetables in the order given into the slow cooker. Place the chicken and the marinade on top. Add the thyme, stock and white wine.
- Season, place lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- After six hours place ½ cup liquid from the slow cooker in a small bowl and mix in Bisto and cumin.
- Combine this to make a paste, add to casserole, mix thoroughly. Cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Serve accompanied with hearty hunks of crusty bread.