Make ahead (it tastes better when it’s reheated) and serve warm, not hot.
|1 to drizzle||Oil|
|1||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|2||Eggs, whites (unbeaten)|
|½ cup||Grated cheese|
|½ cup||Onion, chopped|
|400 g||Chopped tomatoes|
|150 ml||Red wine|
|½ cup||Breadcrumbs, soft|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Saute onions in oil, add mince and tomatoes/wine and cook slowly for 30-40 minutes. It should be thick, not runny. Add breadcrumbs. Season and reserve.
- Boil macaroni and strain and drizzle with oil and when cooled. Add the egg whites and 1/2 cup grated cheese. Reserve.
- Heat the butter, add flour, blending well. Cook for a minute. Add milk and seasoning. When thick, add egg yolks (unbeaten) and 1/3 cup grated cheese.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. Butter a casserole dish, put in the pasta, spread the meat sauce on top and cover with thick cheese sauce.
- Top sauce with grated cheese. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Cook's tip: You can use pasta sauce instead of chopped tomatoes if desired. Serve with a big green salad. Great for all the family, but older palates may enjoy chilli sauce as an accompaniment.