Classic tomato pasta sauce
With fresh garden tomatoes at their best in late summer, this homemade pasta sauce becomes bursting with flavour.
- Place olive oil, chopped onions, sliced celery, chopped arrot and crushed garlic in a large pan and gently cook for 15 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Remove cores from tomatoes and chop.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, oregano, sugar and salt to the pan and cook uncovered on medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring at times.
- Blend the sauce with a stick blender, making sure there are still some chunks left.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
Tip: You can also add olives, anchovies or capers to this tomato pasta sauce.