Chocolate heart cakes
These gorgeous heart shaped cakes can be prepared ahead and kept for several days.
- Beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Gently melt chocolate in the microwave or in a dish over a saucepan of simmering water. Mix chocolate into butter and sugar.
- Add the egg yolks, one at time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Combine flour, baking powder and almonds, then gently fold into the beaten egg whites.
- Spoon the mixture into eight heart-shaped muffin pans or, alternatively, into greased souffle dishes. Cook at 180c for 15 minutes until firm to the touch.
- Melt together the chocolate and cream and mix together until smooth to make sauce.
- Turn out the puddings, then serve with chocolate sauce and fresh berries or fruit.