Honey apple crisp
( SERVES 6 )
Lemon juice adds the necessary acidity and provides great flavour. Your family will moan with pleasure and leftovers will be scarce.
- Spread the apple slices (Granny Smith are ideal) in a casserole and sprinkle to taste with sugar, lemon juice and honey.
- Preheat the oven to 190 deg°C.
- Mix the flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon and cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse oatmeal.
- Spread the topping evenly over the apples and dot with extra knobs of butter.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust crisp and brown.
* This may seem a long cooking time but you want the apples to melt down. You can make ahead and cook for 30 minutes and then re-heat for another 20 or so minutes if desired.
Cook's tip: Serve with custard, cream or ice cream – or better still, all three.