Caramelised Onion and Blue Cheese Tart
This tart can be served hot or cold and is also suitable for freezing. Use a crumbly blue cheese for a strong flavour.
1. Line a 23cm round tart pan with pastry and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Melt the butter and oil in a saucepan and gently cook the onions for 40 minutes, stirring regularly to make sure onions don't stick to the pan.
3. Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan and continue to cook for a further 5 to 10 minutes until glossy and brown. Remove from the heat and add rosemary.
4. Preheat oven to 200C, line the pastry with baking paper and blind baking weights and bake for 15 minutes. Remove tart from oven and reduce heat to 180C.
5. Whisk eggs and cream and season with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon onion into the tart shell, pour over the eggs and sprinkle with blue cheese.
7. Bake for 30 mins until golden and just set. Allow tart to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
Tip! Use a basic guideline of 100ml cream to one egg as a standard filling when making quiches and tarts.